Saturday, 7 November 2009

German Film Festival: Der Tunnel


European films never fail to sweep me away with their interpretation of life. Fighting for freedom, voicing your rights, following your heart, breaking the norms .. is the norm. That's the impression I have of the European approach to life. Live life motivated by a cause with a strong passion. I think that is beautiful. Not necessarily right, but it has my full admiration.

I watched Der Tunnel yesterday with Kenneth and his friends, a film shown specially for the 20th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin wall. I can't convey how much I appreciate and am touched by this film, it is simply.. gripping. The characters featured are strong in their conviction in wanting to rescue their fellow family/loved ones from East Berlin, bonded by this shared conviction, the interplay of their varying personalities and individual strengths are the engines behind his ambitious project - digging a tunnel from West Berlin to East Berlin.

A journey fraught with challenges and tremendous sacrifices, with pain and heartache... held on merely by the hope of reuniting with their loved ones at the other side, this film is a must-watch for anyone who appreciates a good insight into history and is willing to venture beyond Hollywood to films with real artistic depth.

Watch the trailer here.

And if you're not so into those, la mode of the 60s is fascinating inspiration.

Impeccably dressed before mass fashion infiltrated into millions of wardrobes. My generation have lived all our lives in a world of mass fashion, how expensive is a switch! For me, tailoring and alterations feel like a hassle and an extra expense. But you know, it seems that people in the past may have owned much less clothing but they are always finely dressed according to their stations.

Variety and price vs quality?

xoxo,
principessa

No comments: