Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Can't bear to leave

Dear diary,

I know I'm getting married soon and that's happy news...but when i look at the things i've accumulated over the years and the memories behind each item that i own, each item contributes to my collective memories of the steps walked, the times passed, and the emotions involved.  This private corner of my room that belongs to me is going to change. I can't shift everything to the new room that I share with K. It's hard to tear away from this space, this little corner of mine that holds so many things & memories.

For example, the painting on my desk wall is a horizonscape of the sea drawn by Anna, given to me as a lovely bday present a few years back. A "Canadian Rockies" postcard from Joy and a picture of her & me taken on her wedding day is there on my desk. My CD player that holds the many cds that I've burnt in my teenage years, those years where I can literally memorize songs & tell you which artist sang what sits here on my left. Gosh, I even remember those emotional moments when I was studying for my exams while listening to these sappy love songs??? 

A furry purple notebook is perched on a shelf, this notebook was given to me by a dear Pri 6 school mate. That is...14 years ago? A white Ikea cupboard stands beside me - how special because I decided to go to IKEA one day & chose this after more than an hour of consideration, carried it back home & assembled it myself. Same for the TKGS doll sitting on top of this cupboard, with her hair dusty and all, but reminding me of the sweet memories of my secondary school days. On my right, there's this pink magazine holder that I bought eons ago to hold my magazines (i've always been an avid reader since secondary school), with a leaflet that's at least 5 years or more old from Shiseido showing me the makeup trends of that time. A classic that I still like and will wear now. A rack of small colorful drawers on my table holds the same stationaries that I used in secondary school! Oh my gosh.

And further right, there's my glass-case whereby soft toys & Syvlerian(???) animal figurines fill the glass display, alongside pretty perfume bottles & other gifts that dear friends have given me as souvenirs or bday presents over the years. How do I put these aside? How do I bear to leave them? Will they have space in my new room or even, my new house in future? :( The IKEA wardrobe that I assembled with my dad many years ago is so dear to me as well, simply because we assembled it together and that my dad bought it for me even though it was expensive (in my sight). Just so that I have enough space to hold my clothes during my uni days. Or even the mattress & bed frame that I have been sleeping in for years. How memorable! The time when bed bugs invaded my bed, how my parents sprung into action to remove the offensive beds & got us new ones. 

So many memories, I know they are not locked up in things. But being the very forgetful me, I may forget all these if I don't have a memento. And how could I even bear to dispose of any of these precious things? :( I suppose I'm too sentimental. Gees. But I deeply treasure everything, everything that loved ones have done for me and given me. This safe & secure home that's never lacking in anything, never lacking in love or warmth, I thank my parents and my family for making it possible. I thank my friends for accepting me and extending their friendship so that we could share these growing up years together. 

Though I am excited and happy to be going to the next step of life, leaving my parents & starting life with my husband-to-be, this isn't easy. Moving forward, leaving the past behind, it isn't easy at all. I know I can still come home, I will...but it'll be different. I know that I'll still be happy and may even be happier, so I suppose and I know that I should just enjoy and treasure every moment, every person in my life, at every stage of life. 

Thank God for blessing me so so much. 

xoxo,
principessa

No comments: